Isnin, Januari 11, 2010

Faith in the job

Faith in the job
By PRIYA KULASAGARAN

Religion plays an important role in society, but religious teachers do more than teach people to pray.

USTAZ Hasrizal Abdul Jamil’s family was not amused when he spurned a scholarship in economics to pursue theology.
“Choosing to do Islamic Studies while having excellent academic results was not seen as a sensible option,” says the 35-year-old.
“My idea was to overcome the stigma, because it’s not right that this field is seen as a last resort.
After completing his degree in Sharia and Islamic Studies at the Mu’tah University in Jordan, Hasrizal made another radical decision. He wanted to venture further abroad.

Hasrizal in Tokyo, Japan, conducting a course on Islamic Studies for Malaysian students. His job has taken him all over the world.
“My experiences in Islamic school and university were monotonous in a sense, and not reflective of the varied society in Malaysia,” he says.
He explains that he wanted to understand people as much as he understood religious texts.
This quest took him to various locales. He was the first religious minister at the Belfast Islamic Centre of Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.

He also conducted research at the Research Centre for Islamic Art, History and Culture in Istanbul, Turkey.
Although his visits abroad are not as frequent nowadays, Hasrizal is still reaching out to people.
Between conducting motivational camps, giving talks on religion and faithfully updating his blog, the youthful ustaz (Islamic scholar) is in a constant buzz of activity.
The most striking thing about Hasrizal however, is that under his cheerful smile and easy-going persona, lies a steely commitment to his beliefs.

As he writes on his blog: “Some might find my posts controversial, but I’m not interested in being popular. I’d rather be accurate in interpreting my faith.”


My job involves ...

... offering people spiritual and moral guidance.
This includes encouraging people to live according to their faith’s teachings, explaining the meanings of religious scriptures, and conducting religious ceremonies.
However, being an ustaz is not as clear cut as simply teaching people how to pray.
It is about how you apply yourself in accordance with your faith’s teachings.
In my case, I found that being attached to a religious institution did not fit with my idea of being a leader.
Thus, I chose to carry out training and motivational activities to encourage people to adopt Islamic values in their everyday lives.


My morning starts with ...

... prayers, and then on to chores and studying.
When I was working in Ireland, I would be preparing sermons, leading prayers and welcoming visitors to the mosque.
I also found myself organising dialogue sessions with the community so that they could learn more about Islam.
I do much of the same these days, except that I am not limited to one particular centre or mosque.


To qualify, you need ...

... to have a strong belief in your faith.
In Malaysia, the typical perception of an imam (Islamic cleric) is that he is a trusted figure, who has a sound knowledge of religion as compared to the rest of his congregation.
Increasingly, the common practice these days is that the person should also hold a degree in any field related to Islamic Studies, and have good Quranic recitation and memorisation skills.


The best person for the job ...

... is someone who has a burning desire to give of himself and his knowledge, and is interested in humanity.
You need to have good communication skills and be prepared to work with all levels of society. It helps if you can converse in more than one language.
On a personal note, I will add that you must be free of intolerance and aggressiveness.


I love my job because ...

... I get to empower people with knowledge. Religion is meant to be the ultimate definition of how we can connect to God and other beings.
I enjoy helping people work out their questions about God and find meaning in their lives.
I have the opportunity to meet all types of people through my profession, and this shapes my own empathy towards others. It serves to keep me grounded and balanced between being idealistic and realistic.
Also, the process of teaching helps me to continuously develop my own knowledge and skills. The more you want to give, the more you need to have.


What I dislike most ...

... is dealing with the stigma of being a religious leader.
Many assume that my only concern is the afterlife, when I am more interested in improving people’s worldly lives based on values derived from religious thought.
This may be a personal grouse, but dealing with unnecessary bureaucracy imposed by religious authorities can be disheartening.


Prospects for the future ...

... are optimistic, if the role of a religious leader is properly defined in society.
Based on the wide roles played by Islamic centres all over the world, there is a significant need for officers to deal with religious rituals, charity, education, coaching, administration and counselling.
Being one in the Malaysian paradigm can be limiting in a sense, but it will definitely be a staple job.
Religion has always been a mainstay of civilised societies, as it is a source of identity.


A millionaire by 30?

Almost impossible. It may sound cliche, but financial gain is definitely not a motivation to be in this position.
While the salary may be moderate, one can earn extra income through other channels, such as having a business or producing books and CDs of lectures.
But then, you will have to deal with criticism, as the popular perception is that spiritual leaders should not be out to make money.

(http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2010/1/10/education/5416750&sec=education)

Tiada ulasan: